Do Men Like Being Masculine?

Following our discussion on how many ? fail to accept their ? during cases of ??, I really began to wonder more about the ways in which ? is directly harmful to men. We have discussed extensively how ? further ? minorities and is harmful to an ? society, but I was hoping to dig further into the ways that this construct is also harmful to the men specifically subscribing to it. How are ? men “trapped” in their own ?? In a sense, these men are certainly not ? to act any which way, but rather must subscribe to a very specific, “masculine” image. Socialized into ?, it seems that these men must act tough and engage in dangerous acts just because of societies ?.

? = men

? = victimization

?? = domestic abuse

? = hegemonic masculinity

?= subordinates

? = egalitarian

? = ideology

? = free

? = violence

? = standards

6 thoughts on “Do Men Like Being Masculine?

1. sknight

Great point, and it was something I was thinking about too! Specifically in cases of ??, ? feel pressure not to report it seriously because since they were ?, they’ve been ? by the ?? that it is ? to be beaten by a ? in any way. Because of this widely accepted aspect of ?, it is really difficult for male victims of ?? to feel like other ? will take their pain seriously. This same narrative is true for male survivors of sexual assault. There are so many ways that ? are ? by ? and the ?? that comes from other ? probably hurting in the same way. I think in order to evoke change, ? need to change the ?? in order to foster a society that will accept and help male victims.

?: young boys

?: told (it’s a speaker emoji, not sure why it won’t post)

??: hegemonic narrative (again, speaker emoji)

?: embarrassing

?: harmed and restricted

1. sknight

Ah I’m sorry, I’m not sure how to edit comments – but I’d like to add that no, I don’t think men enjoy being these hegemonic forms of masculinity, but are rather conditioned to feel like they enjoy them :/

2. ceserran

? constrains ? by placing this pressure to perform a certain way which perpetuates this fear of failure that I find to be at the root of masculinity. Failure can manifest in many different ways though which complicates the navigation of masculinity and causes ? to avoid showing vulnerability and disguise it with acts of toughness.

1. Saned Diaz

I think further harm is also done because even within male spaces, being vulnerable and talking about sexual assault or abuse is something that is looked down upon. Ignoring the realities of violence men go through just continues to be mystified and unknown to people. This pressure to ignore pain and trauma hurts men but also stops any type of effective communication from starting with women and others who may be to help.

3. athammav

I think men can have genuine interest in doing things like sports and going to the gym without being attacked by a failed masculinity. We gendered these things like sports and beer. Anyone can like it. But if the incentive is to fulfill a failed masculinity, then it’s detrimental and harmful. But if it’s out of genuine interested, then I don’t really see anything wrong.

4. sgmorris

I think this is obvious, but it’s important to note that men like being masculine because their gender identities are male, so it feels affirming to be read as male.

I also think that men often like being masculine because of the power that comes with masculinity.

Moving on, I agree with the original post, because there are so many negative repercussions for men who don’t subscribe to masculinity. I also think that masculinity can lead men to compulsive partake in unhealthy behaviors for their physical and mental health.

My conclusion from all of these things is that the way that we define masculinity is problematic to people who identify as men (and to all other people indirectly).