Men’s Rights Movements

The class had a strong opinion in the arguments presented by the men’s right campaign as we saw on Wednesday. Although we didn’t get to my question, I thought it was very interested to see how this group felt about the unfairness in a nightlife space where ladies were free on certain nights. This is a trend that I have experienced and has proven to be systemic in other communities other than my own starting from the age of 13.

At home, kids, teenagers and young adults will rent out American Legion halls and Firefighter Club spaces to recreate this type of environment where we see that girls and ladies either come in for free before a certain time or at a discounted price. Also, in these spaces men tend to buy drinks for women in order to flaunt their wealth and come off as attractive or appealing. Some of these men expressed this as being put at a disadvantage and gives the women the upper hand in determining how the night goes.

To refocus this idea and pose a question about how we operate as a college, how does the power that is equalized by the absence of fees for admission and drinks for women in order to impress them change the power dynamic of a typical party, college house or otherwise, at Bowdoin College?

3 thoughts on “Men’s Rights Movements

1. asillah

I think your question is really interesting. I’m not sure if this answers your question, but I know at Bowdoin, especially at some sport houses, my guy friends will comment on how good it looks for them to bring a bunch of girls to a party. I wonder if this works as their “admittance” fee in a way…

2. rmrugama

I know of these parties back home and have not been to one, but from what I know of this is that it would be very similar to free parties. The guys are still trying to affirm their masculinity by getting the most women. They can not pursue through usual financial means so they will resort to other means. Fee or no fee the men still maintain power through this mechanism.

3. aeramos

What is super compelling is the fact that most times since spaces such as college houses are dominated so frequently by white men and we still seem reluctant to admit what the party scene here at Bowdoin is also indicative of. I wonder how our social scenes would differ if we increased the social aspect of person of color spaces (such as russworm) that students of color were actually often present in.