More privilege here more privilege there

??? is a term that gets thrown around daily which makes me think, are there different types of ???. Does ??? come in a multitude of pockets? My question challenges the concept of ??? in the trans community. I personally don’t think that the stigmas around ?   versus ?? people are identical in any set fashion. Actually, naturally ?? people are more ???. Why? Well, because we live in a heteronormative world. However, just as ? are more privileged than ?, trans ? too hold a greater amount of ??? than trans ?. The concept that I challenge is the notion of trans ? holding more ??? than trans ? in any sense.

Key:

???   Privilege

?   Men

?   Women

??   cis-gendered

?   trans people

4 thoughts on “More privilege here more privilege there

1. athammav

I don’t have any readings to back up what I’m going to say, but my transman best-friend said that he feels that transwomen experience more difficulties because they have to “do more” to “be legible as a women”. And since we tend to dehumanize and make fun of men for “acting like a girl” or exhibiting stereotypically feminine qualities, you embody the direct opposite of hegemonic masculinity.

2. dfurukaw

I definitely agree that the word privilege is limited in that is often simplifies and equates very different struggles. But when it comes to trans people, it’s abundantly clear in terms of the volume of hate crimes, that it’s more dangerous to be a trans woman in this world than any other gender identity. As Natalie Adams points out, it’s much easier for our society to accept (and read as culturally intelligible) “female to male” subversions of gender– the tomboy, for example– than “male to female” expressions.

3. icgray

I agree with a lot of what the above comments are saying. It’s interesting to see how much more difficult it is to see a man expressing feminine qualities than a female expressing male qualities (for example, “tomboys” are not usually a problem but young boys who express interest in feminine activities, clothing, and toys are often ridiculed). Because men are taught to hate femininity and women are taught to respect masculine power, this phenomenon makes some sense.

4. hdunnepo

I think evaluating these things become difficult because though these categories (?? v.s,??) exist–allowing us to make widespread group assessments of the general experience–each case/experience is deserving of individual evaluation and consideration. ?? ? may face a certain degree of prejudice and discrimination more consistently than ?? . However, in a individual case a ?? may have face extreme forms that are more intense than any given ?? ….maybe resulting in death. And If you are that person, or that persons family/loved ones, that the biggest issue in the world. The number just come to hide it. Further, these issues are connected. Maybe the discourse shouldn’t be divisive?