Pros and Cons of Hegemonic Masculinity

I know this isn’t one of my original expert questions, but it has been lingering on my mind.

Are there pros to 👊? The way we’ve defined it in class, technically no. But what about the camaraderie that could be a consequence to  👊 ? 👊 is a complex topic, and I was wondering if there anything good that comes out of it.

👊 Hegemonic masculinity

2 thoughts on “Pros and Cons of Hegemonic Masculinity

1. mlemalbr

Hegemonic masculinity doesn’t always = toxic masculinity. HM is not a list of traits but any behavior that other men emulate in order to gain social capital. If HMasc. men start expressing emotions and pushing for gender equality without ego, more men will follow. Camaraderie is powerful.
    BUT hegemonic by definition indicates dominance/subordination. A new framework needs to accompany new behaviors, otherwise genuine acts become cynical (i.e. inclusive masculinity)

2. nalvarad

In class, we talked about how 🚹 is a process. I think that, as such, there is potential for characteristics of hegemonic 🚹 to change in order to be better for the world. As it creates 👬 this 👬 could be used to affect positive change, but only if those w power from hegemonic 🚹 use that power for good.

🚹 = masculinity
    👬 = cameraderie