Thinking about Demobilizing Rape

1. If rape is considered gendered dominance, then anything that promotes โ€œ๐Ÿšน=๐Ÿ’ชโ€ also promotes rape culture, such as the Mile in ๐Ÿ‘  and My ๐Ÿ’ชย campaign, as well as things like ๐Ÿค and locker room ๐Ÿ’ฌ

2)ย We spend so much ๐Ÿ•’ thinking about how things don’t work and the negative aspects of movements but less ๐Ÿ•’thinking about how we could create more effective movements.

3) I wonder how much things that subvert the common narrative and promote โ€œ๐Ÿšบ= ๐Ÿ’ชโ€ demobilize rape.

4) Maybe effective rape prevention are smaller things, like showing women with powerful jobs, teaching all children about bodily autonomy, etc

4) There is a lot of power in any message, so it is important to think critically about how/how not campaigns/actions/words mobilize or demobilize rape.

KEY:

๐Ÿšนย = men

๐Ÿ’ชย = strong/strength

๐Ÿ‘ ย = her shoes

๐Ÿคย = shrimping

๐Ÿ’ฌย = talk

๐Ÿ•’ย = time

๐Ÿšบย = women

2 thoughts on “Thinking about Demobilizing Rape

1. sgmorris

I think these are great ideas. One more thing that i want to contribute to this list is how sex education can play a really important role in deconstructing rape myths, defining consent, and creating a more positive idea of what sex can and should be. With regard to this, I’m thinking about the Dines reading, and how she talks about the ways that porn takes the place of sex education and perpetuates rape culture. I think that if we don’t have sex education, people can commit sexual assault and rape without even realizing.

2. rmrugama

I want to add in a thought from the Orenstein reading from the second midterm. This article interviewed Dutch and American kids. Dutch kids were more open about their sexual encounters. American’s being awkward about their sexual experiences resulted in intimacy being a quirk to them. This detachment of the intimacy of the act gives rise to this belief. Women also being more open about sexual acts may help women realize their power in all situations.