Methodology

This research will be done in the form of a case study of Bowdoin and its neoliberal practices. My data will be classified in three categories: Bowdoin’s philosophy, its “influencers”, and marketing strategies. Under Bowdoin’s philosophy, I will draw from the Offer of the College, the idea of the Common Good, and the the college’s educational mission. I will then analyze how the the college has hosted events under the guise of these philosophies. I intend to gather data on the “influencers” of Bowdoin, to which I define as “a person with the ability to influence potential buyers of a product or service by promoting or recommending the items on social media.” Such influencers are: students, guest speakers and lecturers, visiting fellows, and alumni who speak about Bowdoin’s education and its merits. I will also observe the philosophies that these influencers abide by and bring to the college. Lastly, in regards to Bowdoin’s marketing, I will observe how the college advertises its education through the admissions office and media platforms. Media platforms includes newspaper articles, social media (@BowdoinCollege, @BowdoinAdmissions, @GoUBears), and the college website/magazine. From the admissions side, I will observe how they describe Bowdoin’s education as “world class” and how they market the strength of a “liberal arts education” at Bowdoin.

Lopez’s Comments: 

Simon, it is not necessary to commit yourself to theoretical underpinnings without having done the research. Use theory to help support your findings. Second, it makes complete sense to analyze the College’s literature and talks at the College. However, this is a bit too broad of an approach. You should be more specific as to what you will be looking at. Lastly, I like the social media aspect to your methodology. There is a lot available on social media, and in itself, could be the data you choose to analyze.