Acknowledgements

First and foremost, I have to thank my academic advisors across the Africana Studies, Art History and Visual Arts Departments; Professor Judith Casselberry, Professor Dana Byrd and Professor Carrie Scanga. Without their assistance and dedicated involvement in every step throughout the process, this honors project would have never been accomplished. I would like to thank you both for your continued support of my academic endeavors over the last three years. I would also like to show gratitude to my committee in the Africana Studies Department, including Professor Ayodeji Ogunnaike, Professor Tess Chakkalakal, and Professor Brian Purnell. I am grateful for the feedback and hands-on support I have received throughout this semester.

An extended thank you to the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program, which began the origins of my current honors project during my sophomore year at Bowdoin. I would like to thank Elizabeth Muther and Rebecca Banks for their support over the past year.

I would also like to thank Elizabeth Humphrey and David Israel for their hand in helping this website come together. A special thanks to those who participated in my oral histories, I am grateful for your insight and what it has added to this project.