Post-Binary SF: Beyond LHOD

https://www.tor.com/2014/01/21/post-binary-gender-in-sf-introduction/

In this short essay, Alex Dally MacFarlane discusses post-binary gender in SF. While she does critique The Left Hand of Darkness, I really agree with her argument. A book published in 1968 should not still be the revolutionary, quintessential example of post-binary SF, especially with LHOD written that way it is (not exactly highlighting non-binary characters). I think LHOD was incredibly important for its time and for today, but to me it was not revolutionary when I read it. As a liberal person in the 21st century, the idea of a non-binary race was not groundbreaking. Yes, for some readers it still is and always will be, but why can’t we move past LHOD and highlight other post-binary SF texts? We do have to do some digging for this and it is our responsibility to bring those texts to the forefront. I’m excited to see what I find.

One thought on “Post-Binary SF: Beyond LHOD

1. Professor Arielle Saiber

I’d be curious to know what you can imagine for the future of post-binarity? You’ll see that there are many books and short stories in SFF (science fiction and fantasy) that are exploring this issue these days. Just another month or so and we’ll be reading some!!

Reply