Final Reflection on Voyant

LINK TO FINAL VOYANT

On the most superficial level, my Voyant pretty much turned out how I expected it to. In fact, funny enough, the words “World,” “Science,” and “Fiction” were three of the four most-used words throughout my searching (“story” was the #3 word, used 74 more times than “world,” which was #4). I found that I took a pretty anthropocentric approach as well. I found this out by seeing that “people” was my #5 most common word through my searches. I found that “people” was kind of an umbrella for some of my other primary focus: human religion. Finally, other unheralded words indicated some interesting trajectories in my web searching that I think reflects my interests:

• “great” — I like great sci fi
  • “characters” — I think I’m interested by character-driven narratives
  • “human” — sci-fi challenges our conception of what it means to be human
  • “love” — also part of what makes us human
  • “space” and “future” — traditional sci-fi tropes
  • “place” — recognizing the importance of setting
  • “home” — other part of what makes us human: where do we come from? Where do we return to?
  • “become” and “going” — words signifying change
  • “horror” — I do love my sci-fi horror
  • “real” — what is real? What’s not?

A lot of terms came up only in specific posts (e.g. “romance,” “coronavirus,” “hell,” etc.) Interestingly, some unusual ones spiked up in a lot of different ones. Listed below are some terms that spike up and down throughout the 97 documents I uploaded to Voyant

• “life”
  • “way”
  • “human”
  • “think”
  • “star”
  • “work”
  • “things”
  • “use”
  • “going”

If science fiction is a meditation on any of these things, then it’s pretty damn introspective.

Beyond the cirrus cloud, Voyant seemed to struggle quite a bit with document terms, contexts, and the “terms berry.” I’ll continue trying to troubleshoot that.

Cirrus: