Looking at Digital Science Fiction Art

I’m nowhere near an artist myself, so I never considered writing about sci fi themed visual artwork. However, I realized when I was planning my short story that art I have seen over the years has influenced my ideas and inspiration for writing. I have a list on my computer of ideas and images that I could write about, and many of them come from digital art pieces I’ve seen on the internet. Pieces like “Engine Maintenance” by Mac Rebisz, “Collapsed Bridge” by Etienne Hebinger, and one of my favorites: “Eclipse” by Aenami. “Eclipse” has been my header image on this website form the beginning of the semester, and was my computer desktop screen for a while. The image itself is not that science fiction-esque, it really only can be classified as such by the titular red eclipse. I think the simplicity is what I love so much about it – it gives the sense that there is a futuristic world out there, built on the industrial remnants of our civilization. I went to Aenami’s DeviantArt page and found many similar paintings, most focusing on a sole figure looking out on a industrial cityscape. While there aren’t any explicit sci-fi elements in most of the images, they conjure up ideas for me of epic journeys and apocalyptic civilizations. Another artist’s work who I enjoy is Simon Stålenhag, who creates images set in an alternate suburban Swedish landscape where children grow up around robots and science fiction.