into A Black Hole

I am bathing in a black backdrop speckled with stars. The weightlessness of outer space insists that I am completely relieved of any worldly responsibilities. At the same time, something pulses heavily in a distant realm. I know that all of space is connected to itself; space inhabits itself. But something with equal entirety seems to be seeking me out, as if it’s aware that I am unbound to my place here in space. I cannot discern the energy of this new power that pulls me, only that it pulls me gently and understandingly at first. It could be like steel- colored waves lapping at a shore on an easy day, wanting nothing and expecting even less. But they still push and pull, softening the shore all the same. You are not aware how the power exists for you. Everything that it senses, becomes it. Even light, the fastest and freest energy, cannot outrun its force. Before I can relinquish its hold on me to let my soul travel to the sun or the earth, I am plummeting through space and time, my body clutching for stillness. It will swallow me. I will become the infinite density of its body. I watch as the stars swirl around the deep pit of darkness that is calling me in. They swirl merrily, like on the final spin of a merry- go- round. It spits light gamma rays out its mouth, like embers from a crackling fire; I am looking its ferocity in the face, and it gapes hungrily back. I cannot tell its size- whether it calls itself stellar or supermassive. The only difference I know is that the stellar stretches your body apart as it consumes you. It’s young and has a vicious appetite; it doesn’t have the patience to go one piece at a time. If it’s supermassive, that means I may have drifted 165 quadrillion miles away from our milky way, and for a moment that makes me feel much more alone. I close my eyes, and momentarily existed as someone observing this from a distance would, watching my body freeze in place, while a dimming red guise would melt me into oblivion. I was reaching the event horizon, the point of no return. Here, space and time switch roles in their dance with my fate, as I feel the atoms of my body surrender and unravel to the dark. I become we, by virtue of gravitational singularity. We are heavy and hungry and complete in our velvet darkness. And then I am sitting at my kitchen table, staring silently in my saturated cereal bowl.

One thought on “into A Black Hole

1. Diego Villamarin

Hey Kat,
    This was epic! I love that you included the video where you drew some inspiration from right below. But your piece, told in the first person, felt far more interesting.
    I’m curious, what got you interested in black holes, or space, to begin with? What led you to imagine jumping in? And would you do it 30-40 years down the line, if given the chance?

Reply