Bionic bugs: dream come true or worst nightmare?

While insects are often considered as uncontrollable pests, scientists in China have developed  devices that enable humans to manipulate movements of large scarab beetles. Non-lethal electrical currents are run through wires into the beetle’s muscles to stimulate walking. Even more freakishly, a back-pack like computer on the carapace allows for remote control flight steering! It was funny (and a bit cruel) to see the researchers using a Wii remote to fly one of these beetles around a large arena. At the same time, I was spooked by seeing something that we could only fathom to exist in SF.

As the title of the video implies the researchers stressed that cyborg beetles would be used to locate people in rubble using thermal detection or for counter-terrorism. Yet, the excessive emphasis on “peaceful” uses made me wonder what non-peaceful applications would look like. For example, the beetles could be used for spying and in biological warfare (such as spreading pathogens). Animal rights and other ethical questions also need to be asked.  As with many new technologies, we need to weigh the potential dangers in introducing inventions to the public. Yet, the novelty and usefulness that this development promises is something that I find fascinating.

2 thoughts on “Bionic bugs: dream come true or worst nightmare?

1. Professor Arielle Saiber

Terrifying tarantula banner image (Incredible Shrinking Man!), but great post on cyborg insects, and insects that inspire robotic devices of all sorts. So many curious q’s, especially ethical ones, as you note, arise when we think about being able to build and control these insectoids…

Reply
  2. Diego Villamarin

Hello Kenny!
    This is really cool. It’s interesting because I’m also a Bio person but for all the talks that I’ve had about using animals as model organisms, I never believed we would be able to reach this level of manipulation and control over them!
    I guess I’m left wondering what your thoughts are regarding the morality of this kind of tech? I know you are very knowledgable about bugs and this side of Biology. Do you think there are benefits to using these bionic organisms over small drones or fully robotic technology? I can only seem to think that it helps with camouflage and perhaps cost effectiveness, assuming the device on the bug’s back is somewhat cheap to manufacture. I’d love to hear more of your thoughts!

Reply