Is Star Wars Science Fiction?

I’ve loved Star Wars for as long as I can remember. The original trilogy has a special place in my heart, as it does in the hearts of many, but I even enjoyed the prequel movies a good amount and was entertained by the newest releases. I’ve seen almost all the TV shows, and “Lego Star Wars” was my first ever video game. Due to their setting and futuristic technology I always assumed Star Wars was science fiction, though now I’m not so sure.

In my research, I found opinion articles describing Star Wars as “Science Fantasy,” and others saying it didn’t even earn the “science” prefix, arguing for pure fantasy. The articles were filled with examples like comparisons of Obi-Wan to Gandalf, the Force to magic, things like sound in space, the list goes on.

One thing I see when I look back at Star Wars today, without the fresh eyes of a kid who’d never even imagined such a thing as a laser sword, is the influence of our own history on the story. An influence that, as many have pointed out, derives from ancient legend, Samurai, religion, and the two world wars. George Lucas said himself that the space battles were supposed to be a reimagining of the fighter-ace combat of the first two world wars.

It is not unlike SF to be related to the real world, many have argued that this relation is a defining characteristic, but with Star Wars this relationship is made without commentary or criticism. This is not depicting a future we may experience, it is depicting an alternate galaxy filled with magic and wondrous technology that is relatable to our own yet not in a way to make us consider ourselves. The empire is a derivative of Nazi Germany, Darth Vader’s helmet mirrors the iconic shape of the german infantry helmet in WWII, yet there is no commentary here. The empire is like the Nazis, and the empire is evil. Everything in the story is absolute. Even the large battles taking place in the background of Return of The Jedi (which are suppose to determine the fate of an entire galaxy) are painted as inconsequential, with all the real emotion focused whether or not Luke turns to the dark side (the modern movies are guilty of this too, filling the screen with thousands of nameless ships blowing each other up over artificially high stakes. Don’t even get me started).

In conclusion, based on articles I have read, I think Star Wars is fantasy. Sure, there is an implicit SF feel given the setting but, the setting is primarily the vehicle for a story which could theoretically take place in a myriad of places and times.

In some of the newer releases, for example the television show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, they explore some very SF topics such as the ethicality of cloning for war fighters and the morality of government bodies. Despite this, the show is a modern take on a decades old story that is, I believe at it’s heart, fantasy.