Sex and the City: The Emergence of Asian Ascendancy

Right before Thanksgiving Break, I connected the chapters we read in class from Willow Lung-Amam’s Trespassers on Asian American ethnoburbs to that week’s readings on Vietnam’s influence in the global sex market from Kimberly Hoang’s Dealing in Desire. My expert question focuses on the disadvantages Vietnamese Americans encounter in the United States and the privileges they attain by participating in Vietnam’s prodigious sex industry. Furthermore, I ask how Vietnam’s sex industry which sits at the forefront of the countries largest city and tourist attraction, Ho Chi Minh City (HMIC) is utilized to assert the rise of Eastern (more specifically South East and East Asian) dominance in the global market, as well as dismantle Western hegemonic patriarchy. Students and Prof. Greene had the opportunity to interact with the question the days following vacation. In Dealing in Desire, Western businessmen express Vietnams sex industry as “a performance.” Prof. Greene expanded on this in class when he discussed “cynical” and “sincere” performance. Greene described sincere performances as a performance that is true to the actor and the actor is trying to convey to the audience while a cynical performance is one that is not true to the actor, but the actor is trying to convey as true to the audience. This made me think of the excerpts we read for class. Hoang illustrates how many of the sex workers at the clubs come from impoverished areas but are able to portray upper-middle-class and wealthy statues through the ways they interact with businessmen and the forms of physical capital they own like luxury phones. This performance that they are putting on is cynical because the sex workers know that they are not from a stable high class, but they must constantly put on the performance since they’re constantly interacting with people that are of wealthier classes. A few students provided their own interpretations of performances from the readings we discussed this week. For instance, a student about how Viet Kieus who came to Vietnam to participate in the sex industry have to show that they are “Vietnamese enough” (although many of them are accustomed to diasporic Vietnamese culture) and that Vietnam is thriving and globalized enough to be a leading nation in the global market. 

Moreover, sex workers give themselves agency over their bodies through the performances where they reassert patriarchal dominance. I find it interesting because it is paradoxical. For instance, the sex workers do things like clink their drinks below the cups of the businessmen and make them feel special. In doing this women can use their bodies as a site of transaction to attain capital. A student in class described it as, “Vietnamese sex workers act like women so men can take up the role of ‘a man.’” This left me asking, how do these women redefine feminism by using the very same institutional practices that marginalize them? Many Western feminists would find this dangerous, but these Vietnamese sex workers have proved otherwise. Also, I found it intriguing how Vietnamese businessmen were able to use real banknotes instead of credit cards in these sex lounges to establish dominance over Western businessmen. I began thinking broadly about the few collapses the American economy has faced this decade. It left me questioning how might the renewal of urban spaces in America using credit lead to the collapse of the American economy and hegemony? How are Vietnamese men using their banknote capital to undermine Westerners in their high attracting tourist cities? Ultimately, is this a performance that they’re putting on truly becoming a reality? 

3 thoughts on “Sex and the City: The Emergence of Asian Ascendancy

1. emajersi

I liked your description of the gender performance of sex work as “us[ing] their bodies as a site of transaction to attain capital.” I similarly felt mixed emotions about these scenes as I read them through the lens of western feminism. In a way, I think western feminism is more limiting as it relates to work and money because it is often assumed women must act in traditionally “masculine” ways to receive respect in the worplace.

I was also suprised to learn about the power asserted by paying in cash, because it contrasts with our economy where increasing payment digitization is viewed as a sign of modernity or being tech-savy.

2. elam

Sulwan and Emilia, I completely agree with all of what you said. It is interesting that Western perception of feminism thus far has mainly been achieving equality with men and being respected in the same manner, whereas a country like Vietnam, which isn’t viewed to be as progressive as the U.S, gives women significant spatial and emotional capital over men and important business affairs. The way the book described the variety of “sex” work or working at a club felt completely different, and how the individuals thought of their work, was completely different than the, often, negative perceptions the west has about sex work or prostitution. I definitely feel like it reflects how Ho Chi Minh City, and Vietnam as a whole, is growing to be a more dominant power in terms of accepting of these women and being comfortable making business transactions in their presence, when American (and business men) are still hesitant to do so.

3. adougal

I am really intrigued and pleased by the acceptance of the women partaking in sex work in Ho Chi Minh City, and I think it is eye opening for the culture of the U.S. that often thinks of itself as progressive, especially in terms of feminism. We can learn a lot from this book about how spatial and emotional capital for women can come from unexpected places, and learn to open up our feminist theories even wider. This book really provoked thoughts I had not had before about what feminism and women having capital really means, especially globally. I wonder what other parts of the world express feminism in different ways, and about the other ways in which women hold capital over men. I also wonder about other places and if there are examples of women with “sincere” performances that give them this capital as well.