About this Podcast Series

This podcast series explores the lives of different staff members in the Bowdoin College Museum of Art. This project aims to increase the visibility of the Museum and solidify the institution as an educational resource welcoming to all perspectives and audiences. Often, there is the perception that the “army” handling the operations behind museum exhibitions and artifacts remain hidden behind the curtain. The podcast will include an intro episode and 13 interview episodes; each is be 12-20 minutes long. I ask willing staff members about how they individually found their way to the museum field, how they envisioned art becoming part of their careers, their daily tasks, the obstacles they face during events (such as Night at the Museum and the Summer Opening), and how their jobs differ during the academic term and summer period, among other topics.

After delving into the world of audiobooks, radio shows, and podcasts myself, I saw an opportunity to deliver information through other formats that are more easily accessible. Because the podcast format is more informal, people can interact with the material in diverse ways and at various times. I want to share the warmth and close community of the BCMA office, which I felt so quickly when the security guards greeted me by name during my first week. Meeting artists and other museum professionals during my time here, I became more curious about the different players in the art world and how their roles intersect and differ. I wanted to uncover the vital work that is being done right under our noses essential to the museum’s everyday operations, from fonts and color schemes for exhibition labels to floral arrangements for private receptions. The podcast has the potential to demystify work in the art field, highlight the variety of interests and skills that synchronize to produce unforgettable events and material, as well as illustrate the diverse ways one can develop a career in the arts.

I am exhilarated to embark on this project and welcome feedback. I believe this to be a great resource for our Brunswick community, especially the Brunswick residents and Bowdoin students who are interested in understanding more about our functions, expanding our relationship with them in addition to our annual events. Additionally, the podcast connects the BCMA with our broader community beyond Bowdoin, specifically the pre-professionals across the country looking to dip their toes into the art field, as we provide insight to museum work at a smaller institution.

This project was made possible under the direction of Sabrina Lin, Post-Baccalaureate Curatorial Assistant, with technical guidance from Senior Producer for Academic Media David Israel and Academic Technology Consultant Colin Kelley.