12:00

[ensemblevideo contentid=12d581d5-f544-4cd0-88aa-a1e4c822b743 autoplay=true]

About the project:

In this project, I wanted to intimate a style perfected by the Italians which is the spaghetti western. Sergio Leone was a director who pushed the genre to the form that is most recognizable in popular culture. Leone would draw out certain scenes , such as a shootout, to build tension. His style cut from long shots and close ups to accomplish this. He also moved the western score away from orchestral pieces to more music inspired by surf guitar and latin music. These films were made quickly and cheaply, using cameras that shot without sound and minimal effects. I wanted to apply similar restrictions while creating my film. All sound used in 12:00 was added in post.

The film begins when are unnamed villain hears the church bell sounding that it is now noon. He checks his watch, checks his gun, and then looks up to see our unnamed protagonist approaching from the distance. The protagonist enters slowly, and then comes to a stop. the protagonist draws his weapon first and hits the original character. The protagonist approaches the wounded character and finishes him with a second shot.

I wanted to show emotion and character traits without using dialogue. The villain is twitchy implying that he is unsure of how the events will unfold. The protagonist is calm, but determined showing that he is completely confident that he will win the duel.