Voyant Visualization

A lot of the words that came up large on my cloud were fairly predictable, but there were some that surprised me. For instance, “love.” I can attribute it to my brief obsession with the short story “If you were a dinosaur, my love,” but my trends chart indicates that while that was when the appearance of the word “love” spiked, it’s also appeared fairly consistently throughout the documents I looked at. This brings me to another one of my special interests while doing this search – science fiction with LGBT+ themes. A lot of the spikes in “love” coincide with the word “queer.” The prominence of words like “story,” “stories,” and “book” indicates that I prefer print media and is also indicative of the way that I searched for these sites: mainly by googling my favorite sf authors and reading articles about them.

A few more trends of interest:
– A few specific phrases from my favorite stories made it onto the infographic: like Breq and Radchaai from Ann Leckie’s Imperial Radch series, and Yuan, one of the characters in Ken Liu’s short story “Seventh Day of the Seventh Moon.”
– If someone asked me what my primary interests in sf were, I would probably say women, cities, theater, and LGBT+ themes, and I was little disappointed at how small some of those terms were.