Battlestar Galactica – Season 1, Episode 1

This show is bananas! The pilot episode is no holds barred tension from beginning to end. It opens on an exhausted crew and a clock ticking down in 33-minute intervals. Why is the crew exhausted? Who is the crew? They’re running from something? Right? What are they running from? The show gives us none of this! Everything that I expected from an opening episode was thrown out the window. I don’t know the character names, I don’t know their motivations. The first episode is entirely plot-based. One thing happens then the next thing happens then the next thing happens, one after the other after the other. People die, then come back to life. A lady is a hallucination, no wait she’s a robot, no wait. It’s a constant, unexplained, mess. But the mess is executed with good writing and compelling cinematography. There is a short space battle, but nothing crazy. Normally I would say plot-based writing was a bad thing, but the air of mystery that surrounds the first episode, paired with plot points that feel like the climax of a greater narrative, makes the first episode so engaging and suspenseful that I did not miss the character development. I’m confident that all the things we’re missing in this first episode will come out later, subtly and naturally. Isn’t that exciting?

One thought on “Battlestar Galactica – Season 1, Episode 1