The Gentrification Conversation

Freeman’s There Goes the ‘Hood: Views of Gentrification from the Ground Up explains gentrification, its after effects and extensive background and history. He touches on why whites flood a neighborhood, the increase in services and infrastructure after they arrive and the reaction from the people who were there before them. Reading Freeman’s thoughts on gentrification made me question my own and the veracity and validity of my feelings. For most the word gentrification brings up negative and unsettling thoughts of POC communities being displaced in favor of Whole Foods and luxury housing but for some it is not an innately negative word. They think about the increase in property values and the potential for community members to benefit from the improvements.

Sometimes, the conversation about gentrification is hijacked by those who only see the benefits without considering the key stakeholders present such as renters who have lived in a neighborhood for generations or those who value the culture of a certain community. They are invalidating the feelings and experiences of residents by not offering them a seat at the table so they can play a role in the decision making process. Freeman talked about past experiencing with whites shaping how blacks grapple with gentrification but I think that the issue is deeper. Yes, I think trust is a big factor but for a lot of people Freeman interviewed they had a problem the distribution of services such as parks and police presence. Nate on page 111 summed it up, saying “I don’t like that it takes white people moving into our neighborhood to legitimize our concerns, to legitimize the realization of our property values and to make a neighborhood safe”.   It’s even worse when it’s happening in a larger city and neighborhoods are being treated differently depending on demographics of the residents. My main issue with gentrification mirrors Nate’s. Why does my neighborhood all of a sudden matter because a white family decided to revamp and move into the house next door? The addition of public services in the presence of whites just affirms the idea that white people are the most privileged members in society and communities of color will always be second to them. This is infuriating, especially for someone like me who has lived in a place for over a decade, lived the issues first hand and advocated for change to no avail.

I wish I could see gentrification as something that would benefit everyone but the rampant inequalities and disparities seem to increase in communities after they’ve been brought up to the upper class standards. There needs to be a better system of bettering American neighborhoods without the presence of whites being the catalyst for change. Even though I am able to see the problems with gentrification, I can’t suggest a concise solution; the problem is too large and needs individualized planning. Hopefully, we can soon reach a place where everyone in gentrified communities are able to enjoy and reap the benefits of the upgrades without being uprooted and marginalized in their own home environments.

2 thoughts on “The Gentrification Conversation

1. drreynol

I think your question: Why does my neighborhood all of a sudden matter because a white family decided to revamp and move into the house next door?… presents a great description of what gentrification can look like to a local resident. Sometimes we try and understand gentrification through economic and political lenses. However, I believe the easiest way to understand how it affects existing residents is by putting yourself in their shoes. Even though I am white and can’t really ever understand how gentrification personally effects me, I still understand the importance of analyzing gentrification by questioning actual residents their feelings. I can empathize with your frustration by advocating for change, but not receive any attention.

However, gentrification does not have to be all bad. There is a potential for positive gentrification where everyone can benefit from new markets and diverse social relationships. Nevertheless, the only way this can happen is if new residents can create these social relationships with existing residents; and residents must be open and willing to accept the gentry. But, the implementation of higher market goods that are inaccessible to existing residents will always create negative aspects of gentrification.

2. ecmorano

This makes me think about the Boyle Heights readings from later in the semester. When white people move in and start participating in anti-gentrification movements, does it de-legitimize the concerns of “old timer” residents in a similar way to what is expressed here: “I don’t like that it takes white people moving into our neighborhood to legitimize our concerns, to legitimize the realization of our property values and to make a neighborhood safe”? If so, does that uneasiness with the reason for changes negate the community-wide benefits that might come from them? I don’t have an answer here, but it is something that I continue to struggle with- the age old “intent vs. results” question.