Course Structure

BLOG
I’ve created a wordpress blog for our class, which can be accessed at
https://courses.bowdoin.edu/visual-arts-1401-spring-2020/.

Please post your photography projects & statements in the corresponding Category of the blog.
Post your reading responses, feedback on peer work as Comments in the specified location.
Post your research in your “Name ResearchCategory.

Please post general questions in the “Questions” area of the blog
https://courses.bowdoin.edu/visual-arts-1401-spring-2020/celfman/general-questions/, so that your classmates can also see the answers.  

Detailed instructions on how to use the blog can be found here: https://courses.bowdoin.edu/visual-arts-1401-spring-2020/blog-directions/

PHOTOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENTS
Use any camera you prefer for the rest of the semester. Cell phone cameras are fine. If you have another digital camera, please use it instead so you have more creative control.  If you would like to continue working with film, and can either develop it yourself or send it to a lab for processing and scan the negatives to create digital images by the due dates, great!

All work should be submitted through the class WordPress blog in the corresponding “category” by the due date.

All images should be uploaded as JPGS with the following name structure.
“Last name_Week_Assignment_PictureTitle.jpg”

Please do not risk your health for the sake of this class. Only go outside if you feel comfortable doing so in your neighborhood and can maintain a safe distance from other people.

Assignments are generally due on Wednesdays. The only exceptions are the first and last week, when there are assignments due on Fridays.

Sometimes you may choose between two different assignment options. If there is not an alternate assignment listed for that week, please complete the posted assignment. 

Assignments may be modified to reflect current events. I will update the blog and email you with any changes to the course content.

STATEMENTS
Post a 100-150 word statement to accompany each project you post on the blog.
Guidelines for project statements are posted in the course info area of the blog.

CRITIQUE GROUPS
If you attend the weekly Zoom critique meeting, then that fulfills your critique participation component.  If you are unable to attend the critique meeting that week, post 100-150 word comments on FOUR other students’ work who also did not attend the critique.  I will email the class to let you know who those people are each week.

READING RESPONSES FOR EXTRA CREDIT
Post 2 paragraph responses to the readings on the blog, under the READINGS menu, on the page labeled for that reading. Reading responses will be counted for extra credit. Please post links to articles or essays that you find that are especially relevant to our class that you would like to share on the front page of the blog.

FINAL PROJECTS
I encourage you to design and order a Blurb print-on-demand photo book for your final project. Bowdoin will reimburse you $30 for class photography project materials or related costs. Reimbursement proposals must be submitted to [email protected] for approval prior to purchase. $30 will cover the cost of a softcover Blurb photo book if you choose to have one printed for your final project. If you’d rather do something else for your final project, describe your plan in your final proposal and I’ll give you feedback.

COMMUNICATION
Always feel free to reach out with questions. I am happy to email or connect through Zoom.

Keep me informed of anything I need to know about the evolution of your own health or situation so I can do my best to accommodate your needs and offer support.

If you have an emergency, please email me directly at [email protected] with the word EMERGENCY in the subject line.

GRADING & FEEDBACK
The college is adopting a grading policy of Credit / No Credit.

To receive credit, students are required to complete and submit 10 jpg images and a statement for each photographic assignment, submit feedback for their assigned critique group members’ work, and submit assigned research, reading responses, and self-reflections.

Students are also expected to meet set deadlines and should proactively communicate in advance if an extension is needed.

In addition to peer feedback, I will be available to offer informal feedback on works-in-progress and I will also provide written feedback on completed works.