Controlling Through Uniform: Mao Zedong and The Red Guards

600-7

(http://alphahistory.com/chineserevolution/red-guards/)

This photo shows hundreds of Red Guards united together at a Tiananmen Square rally in 1966. I selected this image for this week’s Mao Suit topic for a couple reasons. I felt like this photo combined a lot of unique qualities that several of the images we have seen in class. Another reason I chose this photo is because of the powerful message it eludes when you look at it first glance. When I first saw the photo, the mass amount of people in uniform created an extremely  compelling feeling that forced me to examine it further.

Focusing in on the denotations, there are three primary features of this image that stand out. The first being the photo of Mao which is posted behind the mass crowd of red guards. Clearly Mao is displayed high above the people, as a leader. He is clear that he is the person that these people are fighting for. However, there is only one small photo of him. What also stood out to me about the photo of Mao is that it is very small and there is only one photo of him. This is extremely powerful, because it proved that Mao was represented in all aspects of these people, not just just the photo of him. Within the crowd of people, Mao is represented through the matching uniforms, the red books, and the expressions on these people’s faces. I would go even go further to say that the small individual photo of him hanging up would not even make a difference if it was not there. This is extremely significant because at this moment, Mao is so powerful that every aspect of this photo eludes him and is connected to his leadership in some way.

The second significant denotation is Mao’s Little Red Book that is grasped tightly in every single person’s hand. With each person holding the books up high, they are able to be seen clearly by anyone there. The mass amounts of the color red also reiterates the dedication and fight behind Mao.

need more connotation on the topic of Mao’s little red book

Lastly, each person is wearing matching brown uniforms, which gives up a person’s individuality in exchange for the feeling of belonging. These matching uniforms play an extremely important role in Mao’s goals of utilizing young students in his fight for power and change. These matching uniforms demonstrate the feelings of unification and alliance that the youth needed at this time. The feeling of belonging and being needed for a cause is why most of these people joined in the fight for Mao. However, in reality, these matching uniforms allowed for no individuality or independence to be displayed. Instead, it was an army of people with the same identity and no opportunity to speak one’s mind. This clearly was an intentional move.

What also stood out to me about the photo of Mao is that it is very small and there is only one photo of him. This is extremely powerful, because it proved that Mao was represented in all aspects of these people, not just just the photo of him. Within the crowd of people, Mao is represented through the matching uniforms, the red books, and the expressions on these people’s faces. I would go even go further to say that the small individual photo of him hanging up would not even make a difference if it was not there. This is extremely significant because at this moment, Mao is so powerful that every aspect of this photo eludes him and is connected to his leadership in some way.

Overall, this photo has qualities that clearly stand out. However, it is the unification, dedication, and lack of individuality that are the biggest elements. Taking a quick glance at this photo, Mao Zedong’s control and power can be read through every aspect of this photo. This is a testament to his intelligence and ability to create a movement, whether it was a honorable movement or not is another question.

I re-organized your post which make it cohesive