Queer Male SF?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/where-are-all-the-queer-men-in-sci-fi/

This is an interesting blog post that comments on the observation that there seems to be a lack of queer male SF characters and storylines. As much of my previous posts have pointed out, SF started out really male, really white, and really straight. More recently (as some of my posts have also highlighted), women, people of color, and queer people have started to take over the genre (okay, maybe not take over, but definitely work towards it). This post by Ross Johnson points out that the increase in queer characters in SF is incredible, but those characters are overwhelmingly women. It’s interesting that this is the case, considering the historical male dominance of SF. Maybe queer women have been more motivated to write SF as a reaction to a lack of representation of both their gender and their sexuality. After all, isn’t a queer strong female lead the opposite of typical golden age SF? I hope that queer men and non-binary characters get more representation in SF and I think they will. I think that for right now, the queer women are leading the revamp of SF, and that’s okay. Either way, the future of representation in SF is looking a lot brighter than the past.