Stockholm’s Science Fiction Bokhandeln

Science Fiction Bokhandeln (Stockholm) - 2020 All You Need to Know ...

Above is a picture of a Science Fiction and Fantasy bookstore in Stockholm, Sweden. I studied abroad in Stockholm for four months last year and this was one of my favorite places to pop into with my friends  when we got out of class or were wandering Stockholm on the weekends. The store is pretty extensive with collections of SF and fantasy books as well as a lot of merchandise from various fan favorite series. The best part about this store, which you can’t quite tell from the photo, is the location. This store is on the main street of Gamla Stan which translates to “old town.” While the much of the rest of Stockholm fits the typical vision of modern Scandinavia, Gamla Stan has narrow cobblestone streets and squares with vibrantly colored buildings. It is where Stockholm was founded in 1252. To find an SF store in the heart of this historical section of the city was certainly a surprise and the juxtaposition is fascinating. While Science Fiction Bokhandeln itself is not at all “distinctly Swedish,” it will always be something that is distinct and memorable in my experience of Sweden.