Journey’s Use of SF in Album Art

Journey (Journey album) - Wikipedia

These are just four examples I’ve found.  I am also intrigued by their continual usage of the

Egyptian scarab beetle, which on the website is described with:

“The one and all of Journey is the evolution that continues to take place with members coming and going,” Cain said. “The band has evolved similar to ways that the Egyptians used to think that the beetle would go up into heaven and take the souls into the afterlife and continue to have eternal happiness. Well, that beetle has brought us a lot of happiness.”

I find this an interesting connection with some of the ideas of Sun Ra, and it draws another connection between SF and older mythologies/religions with the idea of transcendence.

Journey’s music has few, if any, clear references to SF but more to some of the general ideas, including an idea of the “Grand Illusion” of social and cultural differences.

Regardless, it is some cool art.

Escape (Journey album) - Wikipedia

Journey - Frontiers - Amazon.com Music

Eclipse (Journey album) - Wikipedia

One thought on “Journey Album Covers

1. Professor Arielle Saiber

Wow! I had never connected Journey and Sun Ra, but I see it now! It is phenomenal to see how often we are drawn to ancient stories (myths, legends, etc.–the wisdom of the part) to help us explain the present, and transcend suffering, “illusion,” vicissitudes. I will listen with near ears to Journey!

Reply