Source: https://cvltnation.com/bruce-penningtons-retrofuturism/

While looking for a background image for my site, I ran across a couple short galleries of the works of Bruce Pennington (here’s his website), an artist whose pieces I had seen before but did not know the artist’s name. What I find particularly fascinating about Sci-Fi art in general is the prospect of imagining and rendering a future, which cannot be known, and can only sort of be visualized based on extrapolation, but even that expires very quickly. Pennington’s depictions of the future draw on the prophecies of Nostradamus and the Book of Revelations to produce psychedelic, monolithic apocalypses that feel anachronistic in their religiosity, yet invite you to wonder how religion and the more “futuristic” prospect of advanced technology might intersect.

Gallery 1

Gallery 2

One thought on “Religion in the future? And other impressive pieces of SF art by Bruce Pennington

1. Professor Arielle Saiber

Pennington is an amazing artist and envisioner! So glad you are looking into his work, and into sf art in general. Also great that you are seeing how and where religious beliefs intersect with technoscientific advancements.

Reply