Visions of SF: Ralph McQuarrie and Star Wars

source: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/ralph-mcquarries-star-wars-concept-art-comes-to-life-in-new-fan-film

Source: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/ralph-mcquarries-star-wars-concept-art-comes-to-life-in-new-fan-film

Star Wars is near and dear to my heart–I first saw Episode IV: A New Hope when I was five years old, and the particular aesthetic of the galaxy far, far, away has stuck with me ever since. Regardless of its influences, to me, the x-wings and star destroyers of Star Wars will always be my prototype for vehicles capable of space travel, thus, I have tremendous admiration for the original concept artist for Star Wars, Ralph McQuarrie, who clearly had a large role in the aesthetic of the Star Wars universe. Not only is the concept art technically stunning, McQuarrie’s art retains such warmth and indistinct familiarity despite it being depictions of unfathomable robots, desert planets with multiple suns, and the sterile interiors of planet-killing superstructures. While it is true that the movies certainly look different from the concept art, when you see McQuarrie’s work, there is no denying the hand he had in the creation of the visuals of such an iconic universe.

Here are links to places where you can see some of McQuarrie’s work on Star Wars:

Gallery/article from starwars.com

Inside the finest Star Wars art book ever made – Polygon.com

Inside a Treasure Trove of Rare Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars Art – Gizmodo.com

One thought on “Visions of SF: Ralph McQuarrie and Star Wars

1. Professor Arielle Saiber

neat! the aesthetics of SF film are amazing, especially in the wacky 1960s and 70s films I mentioned in class on Wed (Zardoz, Logan’s Run, etc.). I’d be happy to direct you to other films with striking design (architecture, city planning, interior design, clothing, etc.). You might enjoy looking at the “googie” aesthetic of the 1940s-60s, and “retrofuturism.”

Reply