Is Artistic Depiction Reality?

What struck me when looking through several of the paintings in this section was a clear focus on the mundane aspects of Russian life.  This is a stark contrast from other art that we have looked at thus far, in particular the painting of Ivan, which depicts humanity at its most extreme.  Rather, these paintings depict a life that most people could relate to, invoking a more intimate and personal reaction from the viewer.  

However, based on  past readings, particularly A Journey from Moscow to St. Petersburg as well as historical context regarding the treatment of Russian peasants as well as the institution of serfdom, I couldn’t help but ask myself whether or not these depictions of peasant life were accurate.  It seems as though the various artists are romanticizing a life that in reality is one of extreme hardship. In particular, the ‘Spring, Plowland” painting came across as rather idealized. The woman in the painting appears calm and content with her peasant life.  Additionally, the “Fortune Telling” painting suggests a life of leisure and comfort in Russia–far from the reality for most people of the lower class.   

I may be looking at these paintings too critically, and there is such beauty found in the aspects of life as depicted, but is this depiction reality?  That, I am not so sure of. But, perhaps that is the purpose of “romantic realism”, to blur the line between romance and reality.

Another small thing I noticed is that many of the peasants depicted are women, while most portraits are of men. Is this a common theme throughout Russian art, or it is just the particular sample of paintings we are looking at?  

One thought on “Is Artistic Depiction Reality?

1. Professor Alyssa Gillespie

Hmmm…. I think there may be some truth to the gendered tendencies you note at the end, but mostly I do think it is just the particular sample of paintings we happen to be looking at!