I’m a huge fan of art, so, naturally, when I saw that today’s assignment covered nineteenth century painting I was extremely excited! Russians did it again. To be more specific, Karl Briullov once again shows us how Russians are able to master Western art forms and reinvent them with a touch that is so uniquely Russian. I’d like to do a visual analysis of Karl Briulov’s The Last Day of Pompeii, 1833. This painting stands out from other Russian neoclassical paintings at this time, and set Briullov as a leader in the painting world. The eruption of the volcano in Pompeii has long been a subject for artists as its tragic story is especially awe-inspiring. Briulov’s use of planar composition, color, highling, and shading work to display the desperation and torment of the citizens of Pompeii. Vertically, the painting is split into three parts: one line is drawn the rightmost pillar on the right and the other by the head of the man in the green robe. This places the fallen young woman in the center. Additionally, Briulov added the most light on the young woman highlighting even further. Her exposed breast shows just how helpless the people were against this violent act of nature. This light is skillfully contrasted with the dark black and red of the sky and ominous volcano in the background. This contrats exposes the underlying tension that often exists between humans and nature. Additionally, the way the sky seems to open up to heaven above the suffering people brings image of God to mind. It’s almost as if the the eruption is divine retribution against the citizens of Pompeii for their sins.  (sounds slightly similar to the story of St. petersburg) Bruilov deserved the praise from Pushkin and many more! This painting is so expertly crafted and striking!