Ballet Skis – Collin’s Dad

I had no idea how to start this project. My parents just moved to South Carolina and we barely have anything personal in the house. I can picture all the photo albums we have, sitting in cardboard boxes in a basement, 877 miles away in Millbrook, New York. Since going through physical photos wasn’t an option, I turned to technology.

I began with the Photos album on my laptop. Conveniently for this project, Apple’s Photos assembles albums based on each person using facial recognition. It was great to look through all my old photos of my family members, but I was still stumped. So, I texted my sister asking what she was doing. Luckily, she agreed to help. She pulled up our mom’s Facebook page. You have to understand about our mom – everything goes on Facebook and she is quite fond of flashbacks. “TBT” While we found some great pictures of our grandparent’s in 80s clothing, I still didn’t find the one. Then I realized I had already seen it. It, was my sister’s contact photo of our dad. Another great retro 80s look, but much cooler.

I can only imagine my dad out skiing with his friends and they are just waiting for a chairlift or another friend and my dad pops up on his skis for a second. His friends see this cool stunt and say to my dad, “Doug, you gotta do that again so I can take a photo.” This is one of my favorite photos of my dad because it is both such a cool photo and represents his character.