Collin Tardio – Making It Real

For my Making It Real project I decided to experiment with a few things. My first five images were inspired by Clarence John Laughlin who created creepy images, some of which were double exposures. I wanted to try to create double exposures myself and instead of having the task of both taking new photographs and ones that would work well together, I decided to use my past photographs to create these three double exposures. For the two pictures of the graveyard, I made them black and white in attempt to make them creepier and unsettling.

For the remaining 5 photographs, I took inspiration from Edward Weston who is famous for his abstract pepper photo. So, I wanted to take photographs of objects around my house that seemed abstract and unusual. I made these images black and white to emphasize the contrast in them and make them more abstract.

4 thoughts on “Collin Tardio – Making It Real

1. Destiny Kearney

Hey Collin, I enjoyed looking at your photographs. I admire your choice to mimic the works of other photographers and add your spin to them. The images with longer exposures and combine some older pictures you took were my favorites. I think its interesting that you decided to pair images of people and animals with nature. The feeling evoked in each image comes a lot from the color, for example, the first image seems more optimistic and uplifting due to the bright white and interaction between the subjects. The one below that seems eerie and daunting in a way due to the darkness in the background and the expression on the subjects face. The color of the sunset is similar to how we see fire which I think plays on how I felt eerie when viewing the image. These are cool and I think the double exposures are the most successful.

2. lmiranda

Hey Collin, I think you created a creepy atmosphere to your photos very well. I think the way that you captured the tree kind of falling into the photograph in your fifth photo works to make you feel uneasy as if the branches were going to grab you. The multiple exposures in your second photo has a nice gradient from the photo on top to the photo behind almost like fire in a way that comes off as intense. I think your photos as a whole work together to convey creepy mood even in your last 5 images that reveal how everyday objects can look different depending on how you look at them.

3. fofuokwu

Hey Colin! I think you created some cool photographs. I think your first few photos successfully achieved the creepiness that surrounds Laughlin’s technique of photographing. Your double exposures are really impressive, and I am curious how you approached this technique, especially since its method, I have been looking into incorporating into my work. I love your sixth photo. I am not entirely sure what the subject is, but I can see a face. It kind of looks like ice and a mask combined in together. Also, I think making this particular photo black and white was the right choice because it makes the viewer want to keep staring at the photo, find a clue to what it could be, and make the photograph, itself, look like art.

4. fdzorens

Hi Colin!

I’m very interested to know how you made the photographs with the multiple exposures. Unlike some of the others who have replied, I don’t see them as much so as creepy (maybe besides the second), but more so connecting in that they layer and bring together into one form the animate subject and the landscape. It makes me think more our connection to place and the wilderness. Do we really stand alone from it or is it a part of us and we are a part of it?

I also want to talk about your sixth photo. I immediately see a face in the glass and this is what keeps drawing me back to this photo. Within the face there is so much tension, but then it is frozen in the glass, frozen in that emotion. At the same time though, the viewer is not even completely sure whether there is a face or not there and maybe what the viewer does is project their own emotion and feelings. I want to keep looking at it.