Final Project – Collin

For my final project, I decided to create a first person view short film. Cinematography and filmmaking have been something I have wanted to dive in to for a while and throughout my quarantine I have been doing a lot of research and learning how to do so. Although I love photography, I have always had an interest and fascination in cinematography because of the similarities it has with composition and lighting like in photography, but the differences it has in camera movement, editing and sound. My inspiration for the video came from the research I have been doing over the past month or so, watching other artist’s own first person films as well as other shorter clips and montages. Additionally, my family recently purchased a drone that I have been spending a lot of time flying and taking videos, so I wanted to almost center my short film around it.

Throughout my process of making the film, I realized how difficult it is to create a well-organized film and how much planning is required. There were several instances while I was editing when I didn’t have the right clip and had to go back outside and film more. For cinematography and filmmaking, one has to be conscious of what shots they are taking and the sequence that they will go when editing before recording them. Also, because of background noise I had to record all the audio separately and overlap the new audio with the recordings which was time consuming but I like how it turned out. The bottom line is that I have learned a lot about how difficult it is to plan a video, execute recording it and then seamlessly editing the videos to make a movie. Filmmaking is definitely not something I have mastered, but I really enjoy making videos and would love to continue to make more in the future!