” I won’t let you fall “

It’s around 10 pm and my mother, father, sister, and I gather around the dinner table with four shoeboxes filled with old photographs. I rummage through one box as I come across pictures of my mom and dad when they were dating in the ’90s. My parents first started dating when my mom was 14 and my dad 16. I asked them questions about the clothes they were wearing, where they hung out. I began looking at more photos to find images of my older sister before I was born. We laughed and it was a great bonding experience for us. It had been a long and hard week so to share laughs over photos was as if a weight was being lifted. 

Suddenly, I came around to my own photographs. I saw my first pictures, newborn baby, in awe of the world, but evident of the sass and spunk I was destined to obtain. My parents reminded me that as a baby I had such a vibrant personality and I was extremely stubborn.Then I came across this picture, it shows my mother and me at my first birthday party… obviously blues clues themed. My mom tells me stories about my first birthday and how I was scared of blues clues and cried the entire time and refused to walk even though I basically knew how. 

Looking at this photograph I see the protective yet supportive side of my mother and for me, that is her essence. Since before I was brought into this world, my mother has done everything in her power to protect me and keep me safe. She has also supported all of my dreams even when I wasn’t sure of them myself. This is shown in the way she holds me as she crouches down to get close to me assuring me that she will always be there. In her hands as well as with one hand she holds me tightly with a grip that is protective and forceful, and in the other, she uplifts me and holds me up.  My mom has a great balance even now of supporting me in my endeavors, but also giving me the insight that I need to ultimately protect and help me. It isn’t as assertive as this picture where she holds me to prevent me from falling on my face, but she lets me know that she will always protect and support me no matter how old I get.