The Book of Boba Fett

One of my favorite and one of the most mysterious characters from Star Wars is finally getting his time to shine on the air. Boba Fett is one of the most intriguing characters in Star Wars despite the few lines he has and few minutes on the screen. The series came out a while ago one episode at a time, but I have only seen the first one so far (so no spoilers please). The show is supposed to add layers to Boba Fett who unfortunately suffered a quick defeat in episode 6. Although I have only seen the first episode, I would highly recommend the show to any Star Wars fan. The Book of Boba Fett shows how Boba Fett rises to power in Tatooine and the struggles he has to go through to live after being swallowed alive. This show will explain the time between episode 6 and his appearance in the Mandalorian.

4 thoughts on “The Book of Boba Fett

1. Steve Ward '24 Post author

In his first appearances in the Star Wars saga, Boba Fett was a bounty hunter and seemed to follow that code well. Boba Fett is seen with powerful characters, such as Darth Vader and Jabba the Hutt, and he is hired for a lot of money to either capture or kill certain people. With little character development outside of this it is hard to picture him as more than a ruthless killer in it for the money. However, given the prequel trilogy, the Clone Wars, and his new series we are able to gain a better grasp on who he is and why. The prequel trilogy shows that his dad (his only parent because he was a clone) was killed by a jedi right in front of him. Obviously devastated, the young Boba Fett has to look out for himself now and make money. As a clone that was genetically engineered to fight, a bounty hunter does not seem like a terrible plan. The Clones Wars shows a still young Boba Fett fighting his way up to be one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy. He is seen as a formidable force in only his teens. Through his career as a bounty hunter, he does not make an attempt to become a leader but rather serves powerful people as before mentioned. The Book of Boba Fett (some small spoilers from the first episode are ahead read with caution) starts by showing Boba Fett sitting where the recently deceased Jabba the Hutt sat. This signifies that he is ruling the once wide claim of the Hutts. I believe that this series will show Boba Fett using his years of experience to now lead his new realm. He will come out of the shadows that he once served in and be a leader to many people.

1. Joosep Vorno '22

I have not seen the series yet, but I am definitely planning to – especially after your wonderful introduction to it! I think something that is so fascinating about some more recent TV is the focus on prior antagonists as heroes of their own stories. I struggle to produce a SF example, but an obvious one is Johnny Lawrence of the Karate Kid and his role in the (formerly Youtube, now Netflix) TV series “Cobra Kai”. I think the shift is much more in the way the story is told rather than in the inner motivations of characters. I wonder whether you think this is true for Boba Fett and if so, is this a new trend that’s developing?

1. Steve Ward '24 Post author

I loved the Cobra Kai series although I haven’t seen the most recent season. I do believe it is all about perspective. These characters were seen as “bad guys” in their original casting, but with new stories we get to see them in a different light which allows their actions to come across as heroic.