Experience

As someone who is familiar with autism, to an extent I understand the emotions and feelings associated with autism, BUT in now way am I an expert. That alone is something only a person with autism can be. However, it is important to at least experience in some way, in my opinion, the emotions am individual with autism feels daily.

A lot of my research was focused on the ways in which teachers plan and teach children with autism. Whether it is with IEP, special lessons, removing children from class, etc. In my opinion, it is almost impossible to teach a child fully and not understand them as a person.

When thinking of a way to best talk about the topics of children who have autism, their families, and school I was faced with a challenging task, and that was all the videos. After much thought and consideration I decided to do 3 videos per page. Each video is representative of a different perspective. For example under school, you have a parent talking about her child’s experience in school, a child talking about their experience, then a teacher talking about theirs. I did this so that their would be different voices and perspectives being represented throughout my research.

Below are several videos to help simulate the experiences that a child with autism may face. This first video is supposed to show how it is to have autism, highlight the difficulty in which it is to concentrate with different sounds and colors operating all at once.

This second video take away the visual aspects of autism and tries to convey the difficulty associated with trying to focus on one sound, thus highlighting some of the reason children with autism have problems with communication.

This video is of a young man, I believe the age of 11, being interviewed by his mother about what it is like to have autism and some of the problems, challenges, and benefits that come from him having autism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_Oi9UsgOI