Blum, L. (2017). What we can learn from the Massachusetts ballot question campaign on charter school expansion. Retrieved from the National Education Policy Center website: http://nepc.colorado.edu/files/publications/PM%20Blum%20MA%20charters.pdf
Candal, C. S. (2009). Putting children first: A history of charter public schools in Massachusetts [White paper]. Retrieved from Pioneer Institute website: https://pioneerinstitute.org/research/#toggle-id-6
Clark, M. A., Gleason, P. M., Tuttle, C. C., & Silverberg, M. K. (2015). Do charter schools improve student achievement? Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis, 37(4), 419-436.
Guisbond, L. (n.d.). Big win on Question 2: MA voters support investing in all our public school students. Retrieved from Citizens for Public Schools website: https://www.citizensforpublicschools.org/charter-school-decision-november-2016-ballot-question/
Horton, M., & Freire, P. (1990). We make the road by walking (B. Bell, J. Gaventa, & J. Peters, Eds.). Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
Kahlenberg, R. D., & Potter, H. (2015). Smarter charters. Educational Leadership, 72(5), 22-28.
Massachusetts Authorization of Additional Charter Schools and Charter School Expansion, Question 2 (2016). (n.d.). In Ballotpedia online. Retrieved from https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_Authorization_of_Additional_Charter_Schools_and_Charter_School_Expansion,_Question_2_(2016)
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. (2018). Massachusetts charter schools. Retrieved from http://www.doe.mass.edu/charter/about.html
McNerney, K., & Larkin, M. (2017). As a pressure group folds, Mass. charter school advocates survey the damage. Retrieved from WBUR website: http://www.wbur.org/edify/2018/02/07/charter-advocates-damage
Mueller, C. (2004). Ella Baker and the origins of “participatory democracy.” In J. Bobo, C. Hudley, & C. Michel (Eds.), The black studies reader (pp. 79-90). New York: Routledge.
National Alliance for Public Charter Schools. (2017). Estimated Charter Public School Enrollment, 2016-2017. Retrieved from https://www.publiccharters.org/sites/default/files/migrated/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/EER_Report_V5.pdf
National Center for Education Statistics. (2017). State support for school choice and other options. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/sss.asp
National Center for Education Statistics. (2018a). Characteristics of traditional public schools and public charter schools. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cla.asp
National Center for Education Statistics. (2018b). Public school charter enrollment. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cgb.asp#info
National Conference of State Legislatures. (n.d.). Charter schools. Retrieved from http://www.ncsl.org/research/education/charter-schools-overview.aspx
Rotberg, I. C. (2014). Charter schools and the risk of increased segregation. Phi Delta Kappan, 95(5), 26-30.
Winters, M. A., Clayton, G., & Carpenter, D. M. (2017). Are low-performing students more likely to exit charter schools? Evidence from New York City and Denver, Colorado. Economics of Education Review, 56, 110-117.
- Cover photo: https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/does-school-choice-work
- Students and Teacher photo: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130909/crown-heights/charter-rich-central-brooklyn-new-kipp-elementary-strives-stand-out/
- No on 2 sign: https://btu.org/political-action/vote-no-2-battle-looms/
- Yes on 2 sign: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Yes-On-2-Campaign-For-Fair-Access-to-Quality-Public-Schools
Principles of Education and Organizing:
- Myles Horton photo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_Horton
- Paulo Freire photo: https://www.frankamills.com/coupdoeil/influences-paulo-freire-1921-1997/
- Ella Baker photo: https://www.biography.com/people/ella-baker-9195848
- Save Our Public Schools rally photo: http://newbostonpost.com/2016/12/14/traditional-public-schools-an-endangered-species/
- Lift the Cap Banner photo: http://educationpost.org/yes-i-am-a-suburban-white-mom-and-i-did-just-go-there-with-race-and-charter-schools/
Grassroots in Boston:
- Boston Education Justice Alliance logo: http://bostonedjustice.org/
- QUEST logo: https://www.facebook.com/questbps/
- CPS logo: https://networkforpubliceducation.org/2016/08/6881/
- TAG Boston logo: http://besj.weebly.com/about-us.html
Grassroots around the U.S.:
- NEIFPE logo: https://neifpe.blogspot.com/
- Raise Your Hand logo: https://www.ilraiseyourhand.org/
- Texas Kids Can’t Wait logo: https://www.facebook.com/TexasKidsCantWait/
- Step Up Louisiana logo: https://twitter.com/stepupla
- Activism clip art: https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/dont-be-fooled-profiteers-option
- Choices clip art: http://www.storiesfromschoolaz.org/school-choice-attack-traditional-public-schools/