RE: Quote On Greatness

Hi Tully!

I was also interested in the origins of the quote “Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some / have greatness thrust upon ’em” (2.5.136-37). I have only ever heard this quote being used in the utmost sincerity, so it was interesting to learn that it’s original context was as a practical joke. These lines are an inflation of Malvolio’s dreams and desires, not something that Marie actually believes. The underlying humor of these lines are further emphasized when Malvolio repeats them to Olivia with pompous sincerity and (in the production at least) emphasis on the sexuality of the lines (3.4). All of this is to say that I was surprised that these lines were originally intended ironically, given how they now stand as inspiration for class mobility.

One thought on “RE: Quote On Greatness

1. Raisa Tolchinsky

Hi Kacie! I also noticed this quote and how I’ve often seen it used in a completely different context- usually in the same way that the famous Spiderman quote is used (“with great power comes great responsibility”). I was especially interested in the lines which follow, “Thy Fates open their hands. Let thy blood and spirit embrace them.” I’m so curious about the relationship between Fate and Twelfth Night, since it seems in many ways the play is about how to “cast off” or subvert the fate, often gendered, which is originally given to you. It seems important also that both Blood and Spirit “embrace thy fates,” which alludes to the relationship between body and mind explored in Twelfth Night.