Giovanni and logic

Giovanni is a student. The Friar, a prevalent character in the play, is his tutor. Florio, Giovanni and Annabella’s father, without knowing of their incestual relationship, urges his son to “forsake/ This over-bookish humour” (2.6.114-15). Giovanni makes something that on the surface is irrational–his desire for his sister–appear rational by viewing it through different theoretical lenses in act 1, scene 2. Once logically justifying his love to himself, and to his sister, Annabella discloses that she, indeed, harbors desire for her brother. Only after Giovanni’s multifaceted argument supporting his union with Annabella do the two commence their incestuous relationship.

One thought on “Giovanni and logic

1. Anais Leroy

Hi Carly!

I also think its very interesting that Giovanni uses logic in order to justify his incestuous lust for his sister. It shows the way in which is brain works and how he has already convinced himself that he is not wrong in what he feels. I agree that this is because he is viewing through the lens of a man who has studied what it seems psychology and he can speak around the actual issue of his love for his sister being absolutely forbidden. I think it really interesting how he uses words to get Anabella to admit her feelings as well.