8 thoughts on “The Barge Haulers

1. Eva Dowd

I think that the distinction of the young man in this painting could have many meanings, as you pointed out. One difference that I noticed in his facial expression as compared to that of the other barge-pullers is that of confusion and dissent. Although the older and grayer workers look unhappy, their downcast faces make them appear resigned to their fate. The young man appears the most likely to want to remove himself from this situation. Perhaps this imagery is meant to symbolize a hope for revolution in the future?

1. Evelyn Wallace

Along with the young man’s, facial expression, I noticed that his body is postured up toward the sky and his face is tilted toward the horizon. In comparison with the other barge pullers are looking down and their bodies are slumped toward the ground, possibly signifying their submission to the physical gruel of their labor. This comparison of bodily posture, facing the sky versus the ground, again reinforces the symbolism of hope for the future of Russia versus submission to their lower status.

2. Liam McNett

I think looking at the painting as representative of the “transition from physical laborer to modern machine” as you pointed out is extremely interesting, particularly given that I hardly noticed the steamboat in the background of the painting. In addition, I also thought the generational difference in how the light treats its different subjects was perceptive as well—specifically your comments on how it appears the the labor is “degrading his youth”. I also think the use of the Russian flag is complex, which I interpreted as showing how individual peasants/serfs were being focused in the painting as opposed to the elite aspects of Russian culture.

3. Xander Werkman

I think that the suffering of barge-pullers was highlighted by the the facial expressions, indicating turmoil and unhappiness. The barge-puller that is looking straight at the viewer of the painting stuck out to me. I think this facial expression is telling that barge-puller feels the Russia is responsible for his suffering in the lower class.

1. Colby Santana

The barge-puller that looks directly at the viewer is the second most distinct expression out of the bunch. I’d echo your sentiment that his glare is a critique on the society and system of serfdom established in Russia, but I also interpreted this expression as a way to make the viewer uncomfortable. If you look at his expression long enough you start to feel u comfortable. This jarring feeling is probably included to further emphasize the immoral and disgusting nature of serfdom.

4. Jacob Baltaytis

You provide a very astute analysis, Brennan! I particularly think the mention of the steamboat in the background is integral to this painting. Perhaps the young man is brighter than his fellow serfs because the steamboat will make the work they are doing antiquated and unnecessary in the future. This light serves to provide some optimism for his future and is especially contrasted by the dark figures around him. As the dark haulers represent the arduous work of the time, the bright youth serves to evoke hopefulness of the future for the viewer.

5. Shandiin Largo

I think that the background for this painting is also an interesting one. Is there any other underlying significance for Repin to choose the Volga river as the setting of this painting, aside from serving as a symbol for Russia?
    In addition to Brennan’s analysis, the colors that Repin uses for the background and what he chooses to include should not be overlooked. The bright golden hue from the sun saturates the sand and the people, intensifying the shabbiness and dark features of the barge haulers. The colors of the sky, sun, water, and land evoke an air of lightness and ease that is reflected in the calmness of the scenery. Repin’s attention to color strengthens his commentary on Russia’s first steps to modernizing.

6. Ethan Hill

I failed to notice the cross around the young man’s neck- even during our class discussion. It is interesting to me that you interpret this as degrading. Indeed, the placement of the cross in such a context does seem to call into question the power of faith. The fact that the other workers lack such ornamentation implies that they have all lost something like faith. It is possible that the painting is implying that faith is transitory where as suffering is less so. Very interesting ideas.