5 thoughts on “Perov’s Immersive Style

1. Professor Alyssa Gillespie

A lovely and far-reaching analysis, Zach! Do you remember the portrait of a man by Perov that we saw in the storage room of the Met?

2. Eva Dowd

Going off of your idea about the supernatural nature of “The First Christians of Kiev”, I think that the lighting in the painting is also very impactful. While there is light coming from the horizon, the majority of the light, and the light that illuminates the figures, comes from the supernatural source of the holy text and chalice. As you mention, there appears to be a protection of the worshippers from the elements in this painting; I think an interesting pairing with that idea is the fact that the life-giving giving religious objects are acting almost as a replacement for the natural element of sunlight.

3. Shandiin Largo

I agree that Perov’s use of certain techniques are powerful ways in which he expresses contrasting ideas of hardship and solace. Most notably, I also agree that Perov’s use of differing hues of light and dark shades amplifies these aspects. To add to your examples, I think that “Sleeping Children” (1870) also shows Perov’s technique of drawing attention to the subject of his painting while also showing the serenity in its underlying tragedy. In his work, “Sleeping Children,” Perov depicts two children sleeping without blankets on a floor. Both are shown to be wearing tattered clothes, with bare feet and slightly disheveled hair. The darkness surrounding these children accentuates their bodies, drawing attention to their features. Although their poverty is apparent, Perov draws special attention to the serenity in the children’s slumber. In this way, Perov uses his depictions of realistic scenes to reject romanticism painting, but still maintain the beauty of such scenes. Great job on your analysis! 🙂

4. Nothando Khumalo

I LOVE THE WAY THAT YOU MANAGED TO TIE PEROV’S PAINTINGS TOGETHER WITH A FEW DISTINCT THEMES AND EXPERTLY CIRCLE BACK TO THE ONE MAJOR GOAL OF THE ITINERANTS: DEVIATION FROM CLASSICAL CONCEPTS AND REALISTIC DEPICTIONS OF SERFS. I’D LIKE TO TAKE A DIVE INTO MY FAVORITE PEROV PAINTING ON THE COURSE WEBSITE: SLEEPING CHILDREN. IN SLEEPING CHILDREN, PETROV USES LIGHTING AND CONTRAST TO CREATE A ETHEREAL AND INNOCENT DEPICTION OF SLEEPING PEASANT CHILDREN. IN COMPARISON TO THE OTHER DEPICTIONS THAT YOU MENTIONED, PEASANT LIFE IS SHOWN TO BE TRANQUIL RATHER THAN VIOLENTLY BRUTAL. THE PAINTING BACKGROUND AND MUCH OF THE FOREGROUND IS ALMOST COMPLETELY BLACK. ONLY THE CHILDREN’S FEATURES ARE ILLUMINATED BY THE LIGHT SETTING THEM APART FROM THE DARK AND MYSTERIOUS WORLD THAT THEY INHABIT. AGAIN, WONDERFUL WORK, ZACH!!

P.S. MY COMPUTER IS STUCK IN CAPS FOR SOME REASON :)))

5. Ethan Hill

Your discussion of the harsh landscape in “Going to Burial” was very compelling and informative, The importance of the lights which show motion and direction were not apparent to me on my first viewing of this painting. The general harshness and straitness of the topography does truly convey a sense of overwhelming bleakness, which is a bit crushing.