6 thoughts on “Religious iconography and the significance of darkness in tamara and the demon

1. Professor Alyssa Gillespie

Gabe, what you see in the background is the icon and icon lamp in Tamara’s room; every pre-Revolutionary Russian home had this, placed in what was called the “beautiful corner” of the room. The icon was meant to provide protection to the home’s inhabitants. Your connection here between the image of Mary in the icon and the Pietà-like figures of Tamara and the Demon is astute and thought-provoking!

2. Liam McNett

I think that your comments about the use of darkness in the painting are interesting, particularly juxtaposing that darkness with Tamara’s white dress. Adding on to what Professor Gillespie commented about the “beautiful corner” where the icon is located, I find it powerful that the only aspects of the painting that are illuminated is the icon and Tamara’s face—emphasizing the protective nature of the icon. Finally, your comment on how Tamara’s purity is “a rebellion against evil” was extremely throughout provoking as well.

3. Jacob Baltaytis

I really liked your analysis of Tamara and the Demon! I totally agree that the light-dark contrast’s purpose is twofold; the contrast certainly brought my eyes to each face, and the darkness symbolizes the power and temptation of evil. I think both the icon’s light and the brightness of Tamara’s face relative to the rest of the palet show resistance to this temptation. Indeed, the significance of what is dark and what is light in the painting– as you pointed out– have religious undertones.

1. Xander Werkman

I also really liked your analysis of Tamara and the Demon. The first thing that I noticed in the painting was the contrast between the darkness and light in the painting. I found that this contrast between light and dark is common in the paintings of the Itinerants, such as the painting of Ivan the Terrible and his son by Repin. Also, I saw that the two faces were the only parts of the painting with a soft style that is contrasted in the rough brush strokes of the surrounding area.

4. Colby Santana

I found the concept you mentioned that the demon is “surrounding” Tamara very interesting. I saw this as a unity of the two figures. Tamara’s dress and the demon’s cloud are semi-translucent at the bottom right of the image which suggest a unity of the two figures rather than the more common message of the corruption of purity (which you established that the light was meant to represent). This idea of unity probably reflect on Tamara’s extremely virtuous nature rather than a reflection on anything else. Overall an interesting analysis!

1. Evelyn Wallace

I think the unity of the figures and the color blending of the demon’s dark robes and Tamara’s light robes definitely illustrate this theme. I also think that the unity is an important aspect of the theme of salvation seen in this piece. Tamara’s death is a final act of forgiveness and pity; she serves not as a lover to the demon, rather a maternal figure providing love to a tortured soul. The visual unity in the painting parallels the imagery of the pieta, the uniting of Jesus and Mary (mother and son), and evokes the theme of maternal love.