The Russian Avant-garde: A Dramatic Retreat from the Itinerants

When looking at the pieces of Avant-garde art, I was struck at the dramatic differences and evolution that had taken since the itinerants we had discussed just last week.  In particular, Malevich’s work stood out to me as a rather drastic retreat from previous art we have analyzed so far throughout the course.

Malevich’s treatment of the peasants in this pantings interested me in particular.  Coming from exploring Repin’s paintings which so masterfully capture the individuality, depth, and complexity of the peasantry, it is shocking to see those elements stripped away from the peasants in Malevich’s paintings. The figures depicted throughout paintings of the peasantry are faceless and appear more as a series of shapes than people. Additionally, they are stiff, standing still against an abstract backdrop which gives little insight into their experience or conditions. Furthermore, they are not depicted working–they are simply impersonal objects on a canvas.  This is such a difference from Repin and his “Barge Hauler” painting which highlights the emotions and individuality of each each peasant. In fact, there is not really a way to tell which class the subject is the the exception of the painting’s title. It this stripping away the peasant’s identity or revealing a simple equality inherent in man kind?

I think it would also be interesting to discuss the minimal works and their context/ significance as pieces of art such as “Red square” and “black cross” are intriguing especially since they are not most people think of while pondering pieces of art.