For the past two weeks I have been living in my apartment in Brunswick with contact limited to those within my house. On Tuesday I spent time exploring near Lisbon falls with some of my housemates. The first half of the photographs were shot in an abandoned, what seems to be, manufacturing building near Lisbon falls and the second half were shot a few yards away on the Androscoggin river. I was fascinated by the grime of the built environment and the twisted metal that lies purposeless– even what appears to be bushes around the tree is a mess of rusted wires. For the most part I think these photos feel emptied out and listless, which is a common emotional state I’ve been returning to in between the highs and lows of these uncertain times.

2 thoughts on “Daniel Strodel Photos

1. mbehshid

Hello! All of your photos show a sense of emptiness and loneliness. I think the photo with the open door, branches, and all you can see is the darkness gives off a mysterious, unknown feeling. I feel it is kind of spooky because we can’t see what is on the other side. The photo of the water (at least I think it is) has nice flowing movement. I think photo with the chair uses the rule of thirds well. Since no is sitting in the chair, it give off a very empty feel. It makes me think like someone was there before especially since it is facing the water. The photo of the person sitting looks sorrowful, but hopeful at the same time. It is also mysterious.

2. bpeterso

Hey! These photos were quite different than others posted for this assignment but they definitely followed the trend of mystery, confusion, and emptiness that many expressed as a reflection of how they feel at this time. I really love the third photo’s composition and color as well as the variety of textures found in one single shot. The blue/earthy tones along with the singular figures in each shot really highlight the feeling of loneliness that you pointed out and make the pictures really interesting. The calmness of the water in the last two shots is also unique because it expresses this idea of serenity in such a chaotic time. Overall I really liked these pictures and it was very nice to see some pictures of Maine (even if they didn’t show the prettiest of places).