Shelter in Place – Chicago

Today marks two weeks since I have been home. I found myself under stress as my original spring break plans had taken a turn and I realized I had to return to Brunswick and collect my belongings. The reality seemed surreal, I was waiting for the spring air in Maine, the highlighting moments of our Bowdoin careers with my friends and so much more.

However, during this uncertain time I am thankful that I am able to be at home with my family. I have described the scene back home in the city as an extended winter. As we transition into spring, the days are still gloomy, temperatures are chilly and the only regular scene as I look out my window are dogs and their owners out for a stroll – because of worries of the virus. Only essential personnel are allowed to carryout their normal workdays. I worry because two of my family members, my dad and one of my sisters, are both essential workers.

I have tried to capture some of the moments with family and the stillness in the city I continue to notice since the governor and mayor announced the shelter in place order two weeks ago.

I have an opportunity to reflect when I am out in the neighborhood walking Clinton. There are signs spring is on the way. I hear the birds chirping, the squirrels wrestling, the trees bulbing and earthworms wiggling. All these remind me to keep a positive attitude and with time, as the flowers will bloom, we will also get through this pandemic.

2 thoughts on “Shelter in Place – Chicago

1. mbehshid

Hi Luis! I really enjoyed your photos. The photo of the airport give a sort emptiness. I think it really shows the reality of this difficult time. The photo of the street has nice symmetry and all of cars parked gives off an isolated feel since everyone is at home. A path to unknown. The photo of the flowers and outdoors gives a hopefulness sense.

2. bpeterso

Hey Luis! I really enjoyed seeing your photos of the past couple weeks and getting a sense of your life outside of Bowdoin. The pictures of dog walking and baking are very relatable as that is what I (and what seems like everyone else) have been filling the day with. It’s always eerie to see images of empty streets especially in this context. I love how the last photo shows really bright colors surrounded by dull mulch as it gives off a sense of hope that I think we all need. The emptiness of the airport shows a sense of loneliness/isolation that is expressed in many of your pictures. I am excited to see your photos for the rest of the semester! Miss you lots!