Yesterday marked the beginning of week three of shelter-in-place here in San Francisco. I am living with my parents in their new-is apartment, having moved out of the suburbs into the city this past summer. My sister and her boyfriend live a few blocks so they are also a part of our quarantine pod. These photos come from many walks throughout the neighborhood with my family, trips to the grocery store, as well as lots of time within the apartment.

The transition has been challenging, as it has been for all of us in different ways. The balance of feelings of normalcy and absurdity tip back in forth for me in the day, in subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways. These photos embody moments of my life right now. Upon first glance they do not seem all that absurd; they are not photos that scream “there is a global pandemic going on!” However, the context with which they were taken, whether it is the actual setting (waiting in line to enter the grocery store at 6 foot markers) or simply just the fact that we are living in shelter-in-place, I believe shades these images with a range of different emotions for me.

One thought on “Frances Zorensky- Pictures That Matter Now

1. lmiranda

Hi Frances! I enjoyed your last photo and how the light reflects the windows onto the other wall. I think having the photo not be straight on makes the photo interesting and the shadows gives the photo more dimension. The photo above the photo of the stairs also is shot in an interesting manner, the bars split up the skyline nicely and allows the viewer to see the city in a different way almost as if they were nicely split categories. These photos capture what daily life is to you and how you view the environment around you whether that is inside or outside.