Lyn Miranda-Pictures that Matter Now

Hello everyone, it has been a chaotic couple of weeks. When Spring break began, I was in New York visiting someone when I got the news that Bowdoin would be kicking students out. My friend was also kicked out of his dorm and so I spent those days packing up his things and then my own. Everything has felt incredibly fast and slow at the same time.

I thought I would capture a couple of moments that represent daily life for me. I decided to isolate myself from my family just in case I came in contact with someone with COVID-19 while in New York. That was difficult for me especially in a time in which we all need someone, but I knew it was the right choice. Since then my days have consisted of online work and walks.

I am now back in East Boston, where I grew up and these walks have reminded me of how eerily silent it is. Occasionally you see another walker but either you or they cross the street to avoid any contact. I wanted to document leaving New York and coming back to Boston using my phone camera to document the feelings of isolation and how life has been changed in a short period of time. It is easy to feel alone without a routine but my family has helped with creating structure by having us all participate in making dinner which is something I wish I had taken a picture of. I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

2 thoughts on “Lyn Miranda-Pictures that Matter Now

1. mbehshid

Hello! I enjoyed looking at your photos! The photos of the shelves show the reality of living during this time and how supplies are limited. It is crazy because I have never seen shelves pretty empty before. The photo with the swing set feels lonely and empty. The photos of the water are beautiful and I like how it does not show all of the water and reveals some of the land or covered boats. I think this time has given us an opportunity to take in nature and the tree really represents that. The tree has a lot of movement. (=

2. bpeterso

Hey! All of your photos really work well together and I enjoyed looking at your snapshots from the last couple weeks. The grocery store shelves are definitely haunting images that will represent this pandemic well in the future. I really like your use of shadows and orange/blue color tones to represent the loneliness and silence of the spaces you photographed. The lack of human activity in all photos really brings out the feelings of loneliness that you felt and shows them to the viewer. It’s also always refreshing to see images of nature too. I look forward to seeing your other photos the rest of this semester!