Deirdre’s Forgiveness

I found Deirdre’s forgiveness of Erik rather interesting in this passage. Despite his having an affair, the pair’s relationship does not seem particularly strained throughout the play other than the typical nostalgia for young love that older married couples often describe feeling. A point where we see some tension is when Erik tells Deirdre that he loves her, and she does not return the sweet sentiment (140). Because we only get to see Erik and Deirdre’s relationship while they are with their children, I feel as though readers, just like their kids, are being shielded from the truth. Do you think there’s more tension behind the relationship than the pair is letting on? Are there other points in the novel that we see this?

3 thoughts on “Deirdre’s Forgiveness

1. Sereyrath Ly

What I feel about this couple’s relationship is the financial independent issue. I’m not sure what Deidre’s job is and how she can earn income to support her life besides hearing the scene that says Erik’s changing job as well as getting money to support the family. This leads me to think that if Deidre had money, she would have not put up with Erik’s cheating. In order to relate this issue to the American dream, Americans need financial independence so that they have more freedom in their lives.

2. Erin Hollenbaugh

While reading, I too, was struck by Deirdre’s level of forgiveness. It would seem that Erik cheating on his wife would cause more problems than it actually did. Instead, Deirdre appears unfazed by it. I think that financial dependency plays a role in the situation, but I also feel like Erik and Deidre’s love for their children plays an important role. The abundance of love the family shares for one another is evident throughout the play. If Deirdre were to get a divorce, it would have put a strain on the family’s relationship. I believe that in an effort to preserve what the family has now, Deirdre did what she thought what best for the family.

3. Brenda Macias

I couldn’t understand how Deirdre could be so forgiving. I was also stunned that Erik admitted to cheating on his wife. The scene is telling that Deirdre is truly a family oriented character. She is interested in saving the family even if that means setting aside her own emotions. During the whole situation, Deirdre always seems more concerned about the well-being of others than of her own. She is constantly asking her children how they are doing but will not admit to her own emotions esp during a time when her husband betrayed her.