Momo’s Message

For me and seemingly for the characters on stage, Momo’s message was the most touching moment of the play. She writes very genuinely, “Drink less than I did. Go to church. Be good to everyone you love. I love you more than you’ll ever know” (123). After Deirdre reads the message, everyone is quietly crying, appreciating the letter. However, by the next page, the family is already disobeying the Momo’s wishes. Erik goes for another beer even though he is noticeably drunk. Deirdre remarks nastily, “in sickness and health” (124) to Brigid after Brigid tells them that Richard is trying to get them to like him. These responses by Deirdre and Erik, two characters quite close to Momo’s age, are very interesting. Perhaps even though one can agree that nothing in life is worth getting so worked up about, one still can’t embrace this philosophy. Maybe the different social pressures operating in this play (class consciousness, marriage etc.)  are simply more powerful than any message that Momo can provide them.

One thought on “Momo’s Message

1. Peter Jacobson

I completely agree with you, Stephen. This was one of the most touching scenes in the play for me as well; the juxtaposition of this fleeting and genuine moment of remembrance, and the disregard and “disobedience” of the family on the next page is one that I think we can all relate to in some way. It is so difficult to aspire to something greater than us when our personal energies are so deeply attached to the ‘normal’ pains and struggles of daily life (as well as the common social pressures that you refer to). I think we all catch ourselves at moments of deep introspection when we can reevaluate our place in life and motivate ourselves to set upon doing the things that truly matter in the ‘big picture’; implementing those into daily practice is another thing entirely. And call me cynical, but I think that’s just human nature. Moreover, I think Karam does a great job exposing this humanity in his characters, particularly in moments like these.