End of The Humans

A passage from this reading that really stood out to me was on page 138 when Momo starts screaming at Erik to “go home” and then repeatedly mentions a hole. This reminded me of Erik’s dream involving a dark tunnel. It seems to me that in this novel Momo must serve some greater purpose than just being an old woman who is losing her mind. What purpose do you all think Momo serves, and do you think her reference to a hole has to do with Erik’s dream? Does Momo somehow actually know more than the rest of them?

One thought on “End of The Humans

1. saupton

Interesting ideas Katie! I was also drawn to this idea of Momo and the hole/tunnel dream. I wonder why Karam chose to end the play with very little dialogue and the image of him leaving the apartment through the hallway that “has a tunnel like quality” (148). It felt to me like the “tunnel” was a trial or a time of reckoning for Erik and perhaps symbolic of being judged by God. Perhaps Momo knows that God will judge Erik harshly for his infidelity and thus why she yells at him on page 138 and repeats the word “hole” perhaps foreshadowing his judgement in the “tunnel” and suggesting that he will be ending up in hell. However, despite his shortcomings, Erik is still a likeable character during the play and appears to be a model for the American Dream in terms of his hard work and frugality. What are your thoughts on these passages?