Hands in Marriage

It was really intriguing reading such a well known piece of prose and realizing how little I actually knew about it, in its entirety. Reading The Form of Solemnization of Matrimony,” provided so much more context to the “vows” that are traditionally recited at weddings. After reading it, I saw the recitation much less  vow’like, as I did previously, and more as contractual and instructional in nature. I was really surprised how much circumstantiation and justification that the prose provides, and how logistical/pragmatic the tone of the piece was despite its intention to be read aloud. More specifically, one element of “The Form of Solemnization of Matrimony” that I latched onto was the giving of the hands, despite the formality and pragmatism of the recitation. The giving of hands between a man and a woman seems like an intimate, emotional gesture but also stands as an example of  the two physically becoming one. This is an idea that I think is worthy of delving deeper in to, and makes me question if the text stands as supportive of unification of two under marriage, or supportive of two individuals agreeing upon a new state of identity.