Hidden Stories – Ray

As I mentioned during our class, I wanted to think about what stories have been hidden throughout this uncertain time. I live in a community that has a high population of undocumented migrants, and some of my close friends are undocumented themselves or have family members that are undocumented. Although the labor of undocumented migrants has sustained our food system, the media has not spoken much about how this pandemic is impacting migrant workers that help to pick crops. The work these migrants do is essential to keep us all comfortable, yet they will not have access to the monumental federal aid package that will be implemented soon. I wanted to highlight these stories and contradictions.

A theme that comes up throughout my collection is how our hands interact with the world around us. This pandemic has made us constantly think about our hands and what germs and bacteria exists in them. We are not supposed to touch our faces or shake hands, and we must wash our hands constantly and throughly. Our hands are also used for labor, prayer, among other things.